Holy, moly do I have something super special for you: this one bowl vegan chocolate banana bread is an absolute dream! It’s made with sprouted oat flour, coconut sugar and is completely gluten free, vegan and fabulous.
Just wanted to let you know this banana bread recipe is sponsored by my friends at One Degree Organics!
A vegan banana bread recipe that truly shines
I must say that one of the toughest things I have ever done was try to perfect this recipe. I wanted to make sure it was vegan, but I knew it was going to be tough without any excess fat besides the cashew butter and sans the eggs.
There were a couple of throw away batches before this one came out just right. I really wanted an ooey and gooey inside with a firm edge. I had never created a bread with oat flour before, and this certainly won’t be my only time. It turned out so freaking fantastic.
In fact, I brought a couple of slices to a few of my favorite blogging ladies and friends. We met for lunch yesterday at a trendy and health oriented cafe in Encinitas called Healthy Creations.
If you live in San Diego county, I highly recommend paying them a visit. They have so many paleo and vegan options, and everything in their cafe is gluten free!
It was so wonderful to see the two of them. We have all spent time with one another 1-on-1 but it was our first time all meeting up together- the 3 of us.
If you’re wondering who these two mystery ladies are, let me shed some light: my girl Rachel over at Bakerita, who I’ve mentioned MANY times before and a newer friend of mine, Lindsay of Weeknight Bite.
Vegan chocolate banana bread is going to rock your world
They are both so warm, friendly, hilarious and brilliant. It’s great getting together and bouncing business ideas off one another and sharing our communal trials and tribulations in the blogosphere.
But back to this bread. I brought it for them, and they absolutely loved it. In fact, Lindsay ended up sending me an Instagram video of her polishing off both slices on her way home. I love her.
The two of them told me that the bread was almost fudge-like… wow, can you say slam dunk?! I think you can absolutely serve up this chocolate banana bread for breakfast, especially if you don’t load it up with too many dark chocolate chips.
There is only 1/3 of a cup of coconut sugar in addition to the 2 bananas sweetening this recipe. It’s not going to send you over the edge, and I can imagine it pairing oh so nicely with a big glass of non-dairy milk… even dare I say oat milk* for breakfast! 🙂
Have you tried it yet? My favorite brand Oatly is gaining more and more distribution at so many different coffee shops around the country. It’s really exciting stuff. Oat milk lattes are absolutely life changing, and I dare you to try them.
Have you ever had chocolate banana bread before?
Okay, well enough about my obsession with oat milk. Let’s talk about the sprouted rolled oats that were utilized in this fabulous banana bread recipe. One Degree Organics are one of my favorite companies that I have not only ever worked with but have had the pleasure of enjoying their entire product line.
They sell everything from sprouted oat products (and yes, they are all gluten free) to tortillas, granolas and gluten free flours.
All you have to do is throw these sprouted rolled oats into a food processor and wham bam- you’ve got yourself this fabulous oat flour to work with.
It was a bit of a no brainer to combine the bananas with chocolate for me. It has always been such a winning flavor combination, and I knew the oat flour mixed in was going to be such a game changer.
Don’t be shy about ingredient add-ins either. You can use walnuts instead of dark chocolate chips if you’d like.
Or top off a piece of vegan chocolate banana bread with some creamy nut butter. Now that sounds like a real game changer right there.
Alright, alright. Well, let’s stop fussing about it. If these photos haven’t yet captivated you, then I don’t know what else I can do or say.
This vegan chocolate banana bread is going to be made on repeat in your oven… just give it a try.
It’s such a quick and easy way to satisfy any sweet cravings you may be having. All of your friends and family members will fall in love, too. Promise! 😉
More like this:
This post is sponsored by the lovely folks at One Degree Organics. Thank you for allowing me to continue creating such incredible content by supporting relationships with incredible brands and companies that The Movement Menu enjoys working with! Opinions will always remain 100% my own!
One Bowl Vegan Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 cups organic sprouted rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 2 large very ripe bananas about 1 cup, mashed
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Lightly coat the bottom of a 9x5” loaf pan with oil. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the length of the bottom of the pan and leave some extra parchment hanging over the sides so you can easily lift the loaf out.
- Place rolled oats into a food processor. Process on high until it resembles a flour. This should take about 30 seconds.
- Add in cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coconut sugar. Pulse again a few times to combine.
- Add in the cashew butter, coconut milk, vinegar, vanilla, flax “egg” and mashed bananas.
- Process until smooth and stir in chocolate chips.
- Using a spatula, transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. A few crumbs is okay, but you don’t want any raw batter. Let the bread cool in the pan before using a knife to loosen it around the edges and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.
- Don't be shy about ingredient add-ins. You can use walnuts instead of dark chocolate chips if you'd like.
- Or top off a piece of vegan chocolate banana bread with some creamy nut butter.
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.