Last updated on April 2nd, 2018
Whole30 chicken tortilla soup? But without the tortilla? Am I serious and is it delicious? Yes, on all counts. This creamy, spicy and tangy delicious soup is packed full of nutrients and flavor. You won’t even miss the tortilla, I promise you that.
A creamy Whole30 soup for the books!
Did you see how I included the word “easy” in the title? There is no reason for you not to try this soup. The bonus: Michelle over at The Whole Smiths is the genius behind this soup.
Earlier this month, I took a trip up to Northern California to spend some time with her and her family. We actually went on a Food Blogger Field Trip later in the week, but that was after this delicious soup recipe was created.
Michelle and I took a trip to her local Whole Foods to gather the ingredients for this chicken tortilla-less soup. We bounced ideas off each other and agreed that we needed to incorporate some colorful elements to really take this soup to another level.
That’s why we added the roasted sweet potato, avocado and cilantro to this Whole30 chicken tortilla soup. Can you see that we used a purple sweet potato? It was delicious.
Not only is this recipe easy, but it’s the perfect way to make use of leftovers. If I could give you some advice, it would be to roast your own chicken.
Michelle actually gave me some tips on how to execute a perfectly, flawless and crispy whole roasted chicken. Check out her spatchcocked chicken post here. If you have leftovers, use them in this soup!
More like this:
Whole30 chicken tortilla soup is a winner!
You know what they say about building creativity amongst those who inspired you? When I say “they”, I really mean “I”. Michelle and I have been friends for over a year now, but our humble beginnings began on Instagram!
Hahaha. It was my first time actually meeting her in person and boy, did she not disappoint. You know how sometimes after talking to someone online, over the phone, etc. you become disappointed after meeting them in real life?
Well, that did not happen in this case. It was like Michelle and I had known each other for years. Our conversations were fluid, we had a blast together and the creativity flow was off-the-CHARTS!
Seriously, try hanging around the people who inspire you more. The greatest ideas will come of it, just watch.
Well, enough about my love for Michelle. Back to this fan-flippin’-tastic Whole30 chicken tortilla soup. What I love most about this easy recipe is how you can make it your own.
If you’re not a huge fan of chicken, you can definitely use beef. Depending on how spicy you like your food, you can experiment with different peppers in the recipe. The possibilities are truly endless. What isn’t so endless?
The recipe itself. Seriously, it will be gone in one sitting if you aren’t careful. Leftovers are not an option when something is this nutritious and delicious.
Whole30 Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon ghee, coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup poblano peppers finely chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Mexican seasoning
- 16 ounces diced tomatos
- 1- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 4 cups chicken or beef shredded
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 32 ounces organic chicken broth or beef broth
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 sweet potato diced and roasted
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- Heat a large stockpot over medium heat for a few minutes and melt the ghee.
- Once it has melted, add the onion to the pot and cook for several minutes until it has become soft and slightly browned.
- Add poblano and red peppers and continue cooking until they become soft. Add in the garlic cloves and mix together for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the Mexican seasoning and toss to coat throughout the mixture. Next, add in the diced tomatoes and green chiles, stirring frequently. After 3 minutes, the vegetables should all be cooked through and you can add in the shredded meat, stock and coconut milk.
- Bring everything to a boil and turn the heat down to low and add the chopped kale. Let this sit and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add in the sweet potato and cilantro. Give it a nice stir, and let the soup continue to simmer for another 5-10 minutes on low.
- Turn off the heat. Serve with sliced avocado and more cilantro if you'd like. You can also squeeze some lime juice on top for an extra tangy kick!
You can customize this soup to meet your taste preferences. You're welcome to use shredded beef instead of chicken and beef broth instead of chicken broth. You can also rotate the kind of peppers you incorporate. Feel free to make this recipe your own!
|Monica Stevens Le|
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.