This easy recipe for avocado smoothie is quick to make, has minimal ingredients but is boasting with flavor and nutrients. It's a low sugar, naturally sweetened, dairy free smoothie that's great for breakfast or as a snack.
Why this recipe works so well
This creamy avocado smoothie is made with half an avocado, frozen banana, greens, and protein.
I like to add a bit of vanilla and some sea salt for an extra yum factor.
You can use your favorite vanilla protein, chocolate protein or even an unflavored protein or collagen peptides powder.
I've had the recipe all (3) ways, and it's wonderful.
There is a certain creaminess factor that is unmatched by combining the fresh avocado and frozen banana.
I love how incredibly nourishing and filling this smoothie is without being too heavy.
I'd definitely recommend trying it for breakfast or as a snack. It will keep you full for at least a few hours! 🙂
The combination of all of these things are what make it so delicious, texturally satisfying, creamy, and filling.
Be sure not to add any ice to your smoothie. It'll water it down and make it an unpleasant texture.
I highly recommend buying a big batch of bananas, letting them get nice and ripe, cutting them into chunks, and freezing them.
I keep a big Tupperware of frozen banana chunks in my freezer at all times because they're always heavenly in any smoothie.
I cannot remember the last time I added any sweetener to a smoothie because of this hack.
Ingredients for avocado smoothie
You'll only need a handful of ingredients for this creamy smoothie to turn out perfectly.
There is a specific combination of fat, fiber, protein, fresh fruit, and greens.
- Chia seeds: These are my fiber add-in. You can alternatively use hemp seeds or flax seeds, but I think chia seeds amount to the best texture.
- Protein powder or collagen: A vanilla protein powder, unsweetened protein or collagen works best in this recipe.
- Frozen banana: Makes for the creamiest smoothies.
- Spinach: Fresh spinach is the best in here, you cannot even taste it.
- Nut butter: Cashew butter or almond butter are my faves in here. Peanut butter's flavor is too strong.
- Milk or non-dairy milk: I prefer using a creamy, fatty milk like coconut milk, whole milk or a high quality almond milk.
How to make this recipe for avocado smoothie
Add everything to a blender pitcher (greens first, followed by frozen banana, and the rest of the ingredients, and add the milk last.)
Blend on high for about 30 seconds until smooth and creamy throughout.
Pour into glasses and enjoy with your favorite garnishes. *I love bee pollen on this smoothie!*
Expert Tips & Tricks
My kids absolutely love this smoothie. If you have kids who are reluctant eating their greens (or avocado, for that matter), give them a few sips of this smoothie.
Wait to tell them what's inside until after they're all finished, hehe.
- You can add another 1/2 frozen banana and a bit less liquid and make it a bowl that will be scoop-able instead of pourable.
- If you're into chocolate instead, use chocolate protein powder. You can top it off with some shaved chocolate, chocolate chips or cacao nibs.
- Add a scoop of yogurt for some extra, extra protein. You may need to add a bit more banana to balance out the tartness.
- Don't skip out on the vanilla and sea salt- it really gives it a heightened flavor profile and wow factor.
Is avocado good for you in a smoothie?
This smoothie is full of so many nutrients and won't spike your blood sugar like crazy like other smoothies will that are just chock full of fruit.
You've got plenty of fiber, fat, and protein to help fuel you and curb your appetite.
Also, the creaminess level is unmatched. Just wait until you experience it! 😉
What are the benefits of drinking an avocado smoothie?
You are getting so many nutrients packed into one glass.
Healthy fats for the win, too. They're incredible for our brain health and to give us tons of energy.
Feel free to double the recipe so you can serve it to yourself, and a few kiddos too!
Enjoy this avocado smoothie recipe? Here are a few more you'll love:
Easy Recipe for Avocado Smoothie
- 2 large handfuls fresh spinach optional
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 frozen banana cut into chunks
- splash of vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 serving vanilla protein or collagen see notes
- 1 1/2 cups milk or non-dairy milk see notes
- Add everything to a blender pitcher (greens first, followed by frozen banana, and the rest of the ingredients, and add the milk last.)
- Blend on high for about 30 seconds until smooth and creamy throughout.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy with your favorite garnishes. *I love bee pollen on this smoothie!*
- Protein: I like to use vanilla protein, unsweetened protein or collagen in this recipe.
- Milk: You can add a little less milk to start or a little more depending on the consistency you like your smoothies.
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.