Last updated on April 7th, 2019
A Whole30 and low carb cheeseburger soup made with a cashew cheese soup base and nutrient dense bone broth. Dairy free, healthy and delicious! A perfect addition to your Whole30 meal plan or your arsenal of recipe rotation. Kid and family friendly, too!
A low carb cheeseburger soup with nutritious veggies!
Now, I know what you are thinking. Why on earth is there broccoli in this cheeseburger soup recipe? I wanted to kick the nutrition in this recipe up a few notches.
There is also really something to be said about the flavor, texture and balance that broccoli florets add to this delicious and creamy soup dish.
Just trust me on this one.
If you’re not into broccoli, feel free to replace it with cauliflower florets. Or don’t. You can skip the veggies all together- it’s up to you!
Can I use roasted cashews instead of raw cashews in cheeseburger soup?
No, you cannot. The raw cashews provide the soup with a very specific taste and texture profile that will not be executed by using anything but raw nuts.
Can we talk about how amazing cashews are? I love incorporating them into dishes that would normally call for some type of cheese.
I tend to use cashews a ton when creating cheesecake recipes, but I knew I’d be able to get the flavor I wanted in this low carb cheeseburger soup by adding them in.
Your brain and tastebuds will be fooled, I can promise you that. I made this recipe with people who do not have a lot of time to spend over the stove *in mind!*
Luckily, you just set your raw cashews to soak for a few hours and the rest of the process really is very quick. You’re going to love how much flavor comes from this soup in just a short amount of time spent.
More Whole30 soup recipes like this:
Introducing solid foods to our baby girl in Kauai!
Can I brag for a second? The family and I (Sophie, Tim and myself) are going to be taking a trip to Kauai come January!
Sophie will be 6 months old, and I cannot wait to take our first out-of-state family vacation together. We visited Maui a few years back and knew we wanted to come back and explore other islands as soon as we could.
We are thinking she will be old enough to start introducing solid foods to as well at that point. I cannot wait for her to try poke and some loco moco- yum.
We are going to be renting a loft through VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner), and she is hooking us up with a pack n’ play, high chair and stroller. We are going to be rocking and rolling as soon as we arrive.
I’ll definitely be documenting our journey and some of the trials and tribulations that come with traveling with a baby (I’m sure!)
Stay tuned 😉
Anyway, back to this fabulous concoction…
I can’t wait to serve low carb cheeseburger soup to the next dinner guests we have. They are not going to believe this soup is dairy free.
I highly recommend adding sliced avocado on top of these low carb cheeseburger soup bowls when you are ready to eat. The flavor dimensions simply cannot be beat with that addition.
I’m thinking of starting a Whole30 come October or November. I’m thinking more like November.
I don’t think I have enough time to prepare to start in just one week, but now that I have this recipe in my arsenal, a November Whole30 doesn’t seem too far out of reach.
With how quick and easy this cheeseburger soup recipe is to make, it’ll surely become a staple in your recipe arsenal. I know I’ll be making it over and over again as we dive into the colder months of the year.
It tastes great cold according to my husband. He says, “It’s more like a cheeseburger chili… nothing wrong with that!” 🙂
Whole30 and Keto Cheeseburger SoupA Whole30 and Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup made with a cashew cheese soup base and nutrient dense bone broth. Dairy free, healthy and delicious! A perfect addition to your Whole30 meal plan or your arsenal of recipe rotation. Kid and family friendly, too!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked in boiling water for 1 1/2 hours
- 6 strips bacon diced
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups bone broth- Find Here!
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets
- black pepper to taste
- sliced avocado for garnish
- fresh parsley for garnish
- pickled jalapenos for garnish
- Drain the soaked cashews and rinse well with cold water. Set aside.
- In a large pot, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat, until crispy. Increase the heat to medium-high and add in the ground beef. Cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring often to break the beef apart in even pieces. Keep stirring until it is brown throughout.
- In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, add the broth, tomato paste, coconut milk, drained cashews and salt. Blend on high until smooth and creamy throughout.
- Transfer this mixture into the pot and stir well. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to a simmer, add the broccoli florets and let cook for another 10-15 minutes. Taste for seasoning (salt and pepper) and turn off the stove. Serve warm with your preferred toppings!
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze it for a few weeks as well, but I'd divide it into smaller portions so it's easier to reheat when ready.