Last updated on June 4th, 2019
This paleo and Whole30 buffalo chicken salad is packed with so much flavor and is so quick and easy to throw together. A perfect combination of protein, healthy fats & greens to keep you satiated all day long. What a wonderful whole30 lunch option, too!
During the holidays every year, I tend to take on a lot of extra responsibilities around the house.
It’s the time of year that I want to go through everything we own and donate, donate, donate.
It makes for an extra tired me and a super messy home (before we get all of that extra clutter out of here!) The last thing I want to do during the holidays is spend a ton of time in the kitchen.
I love entertaining- don’t get me wrong, but everything is just a bit overwhelming right now. We’ve got friends and family over constantly, and Sophie is growing faster than a stubborn weed.
Let me tell you something though… this buffalo chicken salad recipe is going to be on repeat every week well into 2019. I’m obsessed.
Ever since my good friend Jeanette shared a fool proof way to quickly have shredded chicken on hand using the Instant Pot, I knew it was a game changer for me…
She is an Instant Pot wizard queen and has been throwing me all of her helpful hacks and tricks, and I freaking love it.
It is saving me so much time and energy… time and energy I can now spend on playing with Sophie 🙂
The shredded chicken in this recipe is made in just 12 minutes using an Instant Pot, but you can alternatively boil it to temperature on the stove and shred it up after it’s done.
You don’t need to shred it at all actually. If you prefer cubed chicken in your salads, do it up that way!
More like this:
Can we talk about the fact that this whole30 buffalo chicken salad can totally be eaten as a main course??
I usually will eat a salad for breakfast or have it as an appetizer/side dish to my main meal, but because of all the healthy fats that reside in this recipe, I can eat it by its lonesome and feel 100% satiated…
and freaking FULL and happy. It’s so nutritious with all of the leafy greens, fatty avocado slices & protein-filled chicken thighs.
I think I turned my non-salad loving husband into a believer after he scarfed down a big bowl of this goodness.
If I can do that, anything is truly possible.
Chances are you are going to have some leftover buffalo mayo after you dress your salad up. This is FABULOUS news because that stuff is crack.
I’ve been dipping my roasted potatoes into it, drizzling it on my morning eggs & eating it with raw carrot sticks. It’s so darn good!
Want to hear something funny? I used romaine lettuce as the base of this salad and we gobbled it down the same day that report by the CDC was released.
E. coli outbreak- oops! I definitely felt a little uneasy after finishing this salad, but it was all in my head.
Clearly, both myself and my family are totally fine! You can alternatively use arugula, spinach or whatever mixed greens you fancy, really.
Side note– you can make the buffalo mayo ahead of time (maybe the night before) and this salad will take you little to no time to put together!
Instead of cooking chicken like I did, you can absolutely use leftover holiday chicken or turkey if you have some.
It’ll toss up beautifully with the buffalo mayo, and this buffalo chicken salad will be a winner no matter what. I think I could swap out chicken for pieces of plastic, and it would still be delicious because of that buffalo mayo.
Gross, I know. But I’m being serious, you guys! 🙂
Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Salad
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil to taste
- 8 bacon slices cooked & cut into strips
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 cup English cucumber sliced
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Homemade Paleo Mayonnaise to taste
- 1/2 cup hot sauce see notes
- Turn on the Instant Pot on manual. Add chicken thighs, water, salt, pepper and oregano. SET the pressure to HIGH and the timer for 12 minutes.
- After the chicken has finished cooking, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, move the “sealing” nob to “venting” and let it release completely. Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and shred using two forks on a cutting board. Set aside to cool.
- In a very large bowl, add mixed greens. Drizzle with avocado oil, to taste and give it a nice stir. Garnish with all of the salad toppings and set aside while you prepare the mayo.
- After the mayo has been prepared, add it to a small bowl. You can alternatively use a store bought mayo... Primal Kitchen has a compliant one. Mix in the hot sauce and taste for seasoning.
- Slowly combine the shredded chicken with the buffalo mayo. Add a little at a time until it has reached your desired consistency / taste preference. I used about 1/2 cup or so.
- Serve immediately and season with salt & pepper if necessary. Enjoy!
The buffalo mayo dressing concoction will most likely be MORE than enough for this salad. I recommend adding a little bit at a time to the shredded chicken and tasting... until it reaches your desired taste preference.
|Monica Stevens Le|
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.