Homemade Paleo Mayonnaise
Homemade paleo mayonnaise in 1 minute- say what? Did I think it was possible to create such a delicious masterpiece with such little effort? Absolutely not! Luckily, with the right ingredients and tools in hand, you’ll be well on your way to creating the most perfect homemade paleo mayonnaise ever. Immersion blenders are AMAZING- I always use them when I’m making soups and stews, too- so convenient. Plus the cleanup is minimal: all you will need to wash is the blade of the blender (which detaches from the stick part!) Hey, I have a favor to ask you. Go easy on me with the video critique, as this is my very first one. I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing, which I’m sure is quite apparent.
Why am I even making homemade paleo mayonnaise? Well, I started a Whole30 on Monday, and I have taken over the Whole30 Recipes Instagram page for the week. There, I am sharing my best practices while Whole30’ing, recipes, and tips and tricks I have while grocery shopping, prepping food, etc. One of my biggest secrets/tips would be to have a jar of this stuff in the refrigerator at all times. It’s so dang versatile, and you’re going to need all of those healthy fats during your journey!
What’s the deal with homemade paleo mayonnaise? Why is it all the rage? Unfortunately before trying this mayo or any mayo made with avocado or light tasting olive oil, I was unsold on ever being able to like mayonnaise. Kraft mayo from the store- no, thank you. The taste comparison is incredibly different, and I’d never find myself dipping vegetables and homemade roasted potatoes in a bottle of Kraft mayonnaise. However, I find myself slathering this goodness all over everything: I’m talking about scrambled eggs, roasted vegetables, chicken, etc.
The customization options are truly endless and you get to control how acidic or salty your mayonnaise tastes! Make it your own. Sure, you can buy some awesome brands that are Whole30 compliant like Primal Kitchen Foods, but homemade mayo is really quick and easy to whip up when you’re pressed for time and can’t run to the store or wait for your order to be shipped to you. You don’t need much and chances are, you’ll have the majority if not all of these ingredients already in your pantry! Like I said, I’ve listed TWO different methods below. I prefer using an immersion blender and a jar because it’s quicker and there is less to clean. However, either method will work very well… ! I love mixing in different spices like: curry powder, some cayenne, garlic powder or turmeric into my homemade mayos! The possibilities and flavor combinations are endless. Pair it with your breakfast scramble, grilled meat & vegetables or use it as a dip!
What’s awesome about this homemade paleo mayonnaise is that it can be used as the base in many other dips and aiolis. Check out some recipes you can use it for below:
- In a large jar, pour in the avocado oil.
- Add egg to the oil.
- Add mustard, water and lemon juice to the mixture.
- Let all of the ingredients settle for 1 minute.
- Take the immersion blender and let it touch the bottom of the container, piercing the egg yolk.
- Turn the immersion blender on and VERY, VERY slowly (this is key!) move the blender up to the top of the mixture and down, until all of the oil has emulsified. This will take anywhere between 15-30 seconds!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
- If you do not own an immersion blender, I recommend using the method below.
- Place the egg, ¼ cup of avocado oil, mustard, water and salt in a blender or food processor. Mix very well.
- While the food processor/blender is running, very slowly drizzle in the remaining ¾ cup of oil.
- After the oil has been added and the mixture has emulsified, add the lemon juice to taste.
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.