Chicken Shawarma Salad (Paleo and Whole30)
A chicken shawarma salad that will quickly become your favorite summer dish. It is reminiscent of a chicken shawarma dish you'd order at any fabulous Greek restaurant and is packed full of flavor thanks to the fresh parsley and mint.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 English cucumber chopped
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/2 head butter lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup tahini sauce see notes
- 3 tablespoons water may need more/less depending on thickness of tahini
In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients until well combined.
Place chicken thighs into a gallon zipper bag and pour the marinade over the chicken pieces. Rub the marinade into the chicken with your hands. Be sure to release all of the air out of the bag and seal it shut. Transfer to the refrigerator to marinade. It needs at least 4 hours, but if you have time, let it sit overnight.
When you are ready to work with the chicken, preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet. Pour the extra marinade over the chicken. Roast for 30 minutes until it is cooked through. Remove from the oven to let cool and slice into strips. Set aside.
In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Process on high until mixture is thoroughly combined and smooth. If it's too thick, add a bit of water until the sauce/dip reaches desired consistency. I don't usually add very much as I prefer my salad dressings to be on the thicker side. Set aside.
Calories: 641kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 47g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g