Chicken & Gnocchi Soup (Made with Cauliflower Gnocchi)
This chicken & gnocchi soup is made with Trader Joe's cauliflower gnocchi and can be made on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot. The soup is creamy, comforting, nutritious, filling, and absolutely delicious! It is also gluten free, dairy free, nut free, and paleo.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup celery chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 pounds shredded chicken see notes
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme see notes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups bone broth or low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bags Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi see notes
- 1 cup non-dairy milk see notes
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat a stockpot or Dutch oven up over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add oil and butter and let heat through for 1 minute. Add onions and sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and celery. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes until everything is nice and soft. Add garlic and sauté 1 more minute until fragrant.
Add shredded chicken and stir frequently, cooking for another 2 minutes. Add fresh thyme, bay leaf, oregano, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Stir well. Add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it has reached a boil, reduce to a simmer, and add the cauliflower gnocchi. Cook for 5 minutes.
While the soup is cooking, whisk the non-dairy milk with the arrowroot flour until smooth throughout. Once the gnocchi has cooked (5 minutes), slowly pour in the milk and arrowroot mixture while stirring the soup. Bring the soup back to a simmer and let it cook for an additional 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste for additional seasoning (salt and pepper) and add the juice of half a lemon. Serve hot and garnish with fresh parsley and black pepper.
Turn the Instant Pot on "Sauté" mode and let it heat for about 2 minutes. Add oil and butter and let that heat for another minute.
Add in the onions and sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and celery. Sauté for another 4-5 minutes until everything has become soft. Add in the garlic cloves and sauté for 1 more minute until fragrant.
Add in the shredded chicken and stir frequently, cooking for another 2 minutes. Add in the fresh herbs and dried herbs. Stir well. Add in the broth and put the lid on. Turn the Instant Pot to "Keep Warm/Cancel" followed with "Manual" and "High Pressure" for 5 minutes.
Carefully move the valve to "Venting" with a towel and once the pressure has released, whisk the non-dairy milk with the arrowroot flour until smooth in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk slurry and hit the "Sauté" function. Let this cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cauliflower gnocchi and let them cook through for about 5 minutes. Taste for additional seasoning (salt and pepper) and add the juice of half a lemon. Serve hot and garnish with fresh parsley and black pepper.
Add water, chicken thighs, and spices to the Instant Pot. Put the lid on and turn valve to "Sealing" position. Set to "Manual" and "High Pressure" for 12 minutes.
Once the time is up, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes.
Carefully move the valve to "Venting" and let the rest of the pressure release. Shred in a stand mixer or with two forks and set aside.
- Use a thick and creamy non-dairy milk like coconut milk or oat milk.
- If you do not have access to Trader Joe's Cauliflower Gnocchi, feel free to use rice noodles instead.
- See ingredients and instructions on how to make your own shredded chicken with chicken thighs above.