Whole30 and Vegan Tzatziki
This Whole30 and vegan tzatziki sauce is out of this world with how creamy and flavorful it is. It is made with raw cashews, fresh herbs, and lemon juice. The recipe is dairy free, Whole30, and completely vegan.
Servings 1 quart
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked in boiling water for 2 hours
- 1 cup filtered water
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber peeled and grated
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh dill chopped
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Add cashews to a bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Let sit, uncovered, for 2 hours. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly.
Blend all of the ingredients (except cucumber and dill) together in a high-speed blender, scraping down the sides as necessary. You will want it to be thick and creamy throughout.
Add cucumber and blend until incorporated.
Stir in fresh dill. Taste for additional salt and pepper seasonings. Transfer to the refrigerator to thicken up more. If you have time to let it sit overnight, that's best!
- The raw cashews cannot be substituted for anything else. Please do not use roasted cashews, as it will not turn out.
- You can soak the cashews first and leave them overnight. You can also soak them for 2 hours in the boiling water, drain them, and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator overnight.