Peppermint Flourless Brownies
These peppermint flourless brownies are incredibly decadent, have a fudge-like consistency and are going to be loved by all of your family and friends. You can prep them in under 10 minutes, and they are gluten free, dairy free, nut free, refined sugar free, and paleo.
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips or chunks
- 1/3 cup coconut cream see notes
- 1/3 cup crushed candy canes optional
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Brush the bottom and sides of an 8x8” baking pan with oil and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
Using the double boiler method or in a microwaveable bowl, melt together the dark chocolate chunks and coconut oil. Be sure to stir occasionally to ensure the chocolate doesn't burn at the bottom. If using a microwave, only heat up 30 seconds at a time. Once it has melted, give it a nice stir and set aside to cool.
In a separate large mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, coconut sugar, cacao, arrowroot, salt, vanilla, and peppermint extracts. Mix well with a fork or use a hand mixer to blend everything together until smooth throughout, about 30 seconds. Do not over mix.
Once the chocolate/oil mixture is warm to the touch (but not hot), add it to the large mixing bowl. Fold several times using a spatula until smooth throughout. This will take about 1 minute.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth over with an offset spatula. Tap on the counter a few times to release air bubbles. Bake at 350°F for 24-28 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for about 15-20 minutes before carefully removing from the pan.
Once they are cool to the touch, use an offset spatula to spread on the chocolate topping. Top off with crushed candy canes if you'd like and let the brownies set in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before carefully slicing and serving.
These can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Make sure you weigh out your dark chocolate. It's important that you have exactly 6 ounces.
- Coconut cream is the cream that has separated to the top of a can of coconut milk that has been sitting in the refrigerator overnight. You can alternatively buy straight, canned coconut cream.
- If you'd like to leave out the peppermint, that's fine. Omit the peppermint extract and crushed candy canes, and these will be delicious, chocolate brownies.
- Brownies will keep on the counter in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Alternatively, keep them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 123mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Calcium: 24mg