Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Salad
This paleo and whole30 buffalo chicken salad is packed with so much flavor and is so quick and easy to throw together. A perfect combination of protein, healthy fats & greens to keep you satiated all day long. What a wonderful whole30 lunch option, too!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 large Romaine hearts finely chopped
- 3 large handfuls arugula
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil to taste
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 8 bacon slices cooked & cut into strips
- 1 cup English cucumber halved and sliced
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/3 cup green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup Homemade Paleo Mayonnaise to taste
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce see notes
Mix all of the chicken marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the chicken thighs along with the marinade to a large Ziploc bag or into a shallow container so the chicken can be fully submerged. Let marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
Once you are ready to cook the chicken, turn the grill on to preheat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Once it has reached temperature, grill chicken thighs on the hot spots (hottest parts of the grill) for about 6-7 minutes per side. I like to brush more marinade each time I flip the thighs and add a little more at the end when they are done cooking as well. They are all finished once the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from the grill and set on a plate or board.
In a very large bowl, add mixed greens, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Give everything a nice stir. Garnish with all of the salad toppings and set aside while you prepare the mayo.
After the mayo has been prepared, add it to a small bowl. You can alternatively use a store bought mayo. Mix in the buffalo sauce and taste for seasoning.
Serve immediately and either pour the dressing over the top (I like to do this a few tablespoons at a time until it reaches my desired consistency) or serve on the side. Enjoy.
- You can make the buffalo mayo ahead of time (i.e. the night before) and this salad will take you little to no time to whip up.
- Instead of grilling chicken like I did, you can absolutely use leftover holiday chicken or turkey if you have some.
- Feel free to use arugula or another favorite mixed green in place of lettuce.
- Mix equal parts mayonnaise with buffalo sauce. Add a few tablespoons at a time to the salad until it is dressed the way you like.
- I like to use a medium buffalo sauce. This is my favorite one.
Calories: 483kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 122mg | Sodium: 1403mg | Potassium: 726mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 35mg