Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
This Instant Pot chicken and rice soup and is full of so much flavor, can be prepped and made in under 30 minutes and is super thick and creamy. You will love it as a weeknight meal or for any time you want something warm and comforting. It's gluten free, dairy free, and nut free.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or ghee
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced
- 1 shallot diced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs boneless & skinless
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning or dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Press the "sauté" setting on your Instant Pot and let it heat up for 2 minutes. Add oil and let it heat for another minute. Meanwhile, season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Add onions, shallot, and carrots. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute. Add chicken and sauté for 2 minutes. When the chicken starts to turn white, add bay leaf, thyme sprigs, and spices. Cook until chicken is almost cooked. Press "cancel/off" button.
Add rice and stir well. Add liquids and stir. Close lid, set valve to "sealing" position. Press "manual" or "pressure cook" button and make sure it is set to "high pressure." Set timer to 4 minutes.
When the timer is done, let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Switch the valve to "venting" position to release the remaining pressure and steam.
Open the lid carefully and give everything a nice stir. Add fresh lemon juice and taste for additional salt and pepper. The soup will need both. Serve with chopped parsley.
- You can swap out the chicken broth for bone broth... extra nutrients are always a win.
- Add extra broth and water if you'd like it to be a thinner consistency.
- You can use chicken breasts instead of thighs.
Calories: 693kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 38g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g