Creamy, Roasted & Vegan Cauliflower Soup
This recipe for creamy, roasted & vegan cauliflower soup is full of flavor and made with fabulous herbs & spices. It's very creamy without any cheese or cream being added, and it’s Whole30 compliant, super hearty, and delicious.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 3 tbsp grass-fed butter, ghee, or coconut oil split in two
- 1/2 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 head of cauliflower washed, dried and cut into florets
- 32 ounces chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons sea salt split in two, see notes
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter or nutritional yeast, if vegan
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice see notes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces pancetta cubed and cooked, for garnish (omit for vegan)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped, for garnish
- sea salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, and adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Line a rime baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add cauliflower florets with half of the oil to the baking sheet. Toss well until the florets have all been lightly coated. Season lightly with half of the salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until the florets are fork tender and browning. Be sure to flip and toss them about halfway through the cook time.
Once the cauliflower has about 5-7 minutes left of cook time, warm a small stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat with the rest of the oil for 1 minute.
Add onions and the rest of the salt. Sauté for 5-7 minutes until soft and almost translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant but stirring frequently.
Add broth, roasted cauliflower florets, and fresh herbs to the pot. Increase the heat to medium high until the mixture reaches a hard simmer. Reduce the heat to low so the soup is now gently simmering.
Cook, stirring here and there, so the flavors all begin to marry together for about 15 minutes. If you'd like the soup to not be as chunky, feel free to add 1 cup of filtered water.
Transfer the soup mixture into the high-speed blender. Blend on medium-high until smooth, about 30 seconds or so.
Add butter, lemon juice, and spices. Do not add any additional salt until the mixture is blended through and you taste it. Blend on medium until everything has been well incorporated. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt. I ended up adding another 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons.
Pour the soup into serving bowls and garnish with pancetta (omit for vegan) and fresh parsley.
You can top it off with additional protein sources (if you are not vegan), and you will be completely full and satiated.
You may need additional salt depending on whether or not the broth you used was low sodium / unsalted. Taste for seasoning at the end.
- Start by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Add another after trying it if you'd like. I ended up using about 1 1/2.
Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 14g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g