Isn't it about time that I made some tots? Most of my trips to the Asian market by our house result in two bags packed with produce, and that's it. Usually, I'll grab a few white sweet potatoes, zucchini, plenty of onions, yellow squash, etc. However, this trip I couldn't help but notice a strange and lovely new addition to the potato corner. It wasn't the physical appearance of the potatoes that caught my eye, but I did notice the section had expanded in size, so I quickly wandered over to see what was new. I came across a sign at the end of the table reading "Ubes". At first, I read "Uber" so of course my attention had been grabbed. But after picking up and examining these new specimens, I realized that ubes were purple sweet potatoes. I had experienced them only in the form of dessert. Yes, I have had ube in boba smoothies and cakes but never had tried cooking with it. I knew I wanted to grab a few while they were in season and run home to see what I could come up with.
Originally, I wanted to spiralize these gorgeous purple potatoes and make noodles. Thankfully, I had my little sister over who stopped me dead in my tracks with a better idea. "Mon, why don't you make tots? Everyone loves tots." She couldn't have been more on point. Granted, I had never deep-fried anything in my life, and I was a bit intimidated by the process... Much to my surprise, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. All I needed was a bit of patience and finesse - and the rest came easily. After we were finished frying, we knew we had to come up with a dipping sauce. I'm not a fan of using ketchup with sweet potatoes, so I knew I wanted to do something mustard-based. These tots are a bit sweet, so I thought they'd pair very nicely by incorporating some raw honey into the mustard sauce we were making. These tots are the perfect snack or side for you, your friends or your kids. Enjoy them while they last... !
Uber Tasty Tater Tots
- 3 cups large purple sweet potatoes roughly 6-7 shredded
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour or starch you will need 1 tablespoon every 2 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- coconut oil for frying
- 1/4 cup coconut cream or organic heavy cream
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch of sea salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes well. Put them in the large pot and allow them to boil for 12-15 minutes until soft to the touch with a fork.
- Remove the pot from the head and stick the potatoes in a large bowl of ice water. Let them cool off for at least 15-20 minutes. Then, peel the skin off the potatoes.
- Shred the potatoes into a bowl. Add the appropriate amount of tapioca starch depending on how many cups of potato you end up with. Add in the sea salt and give it a nice mixing with a spoon or your hands.
- In a small cast iron pan OR a small saucepan, heat about 1" of coconut oil for a few minutes until it begins to slightly bubble. Using your hands, form small rectangles/cylinders with the potato mixture. Place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet next to the stove.
- Carefully place the tots into the oil. You will want to watch them carefully and pull them out of the oil in between 45 seconds and about 1 minute. Pull them out carefully and lay them out on paper towels to slightly drain.
- Prepare the honey mustard. Combine everything but the yolks together in a small saucepan. Heat them over medium heat and whisk thoroughly. Now, drop in the egg yolks and keep on whisking until they mixture comes to a boil. Then, lower the heat and let it simmer for a few minutes while continuously whisking.
- Remove the pot from the heat once it has thickened and serve with the tots!
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.