When I was a young girl, the only way I would eat mashed potatoes was if I was battling a horrible flu. I would become so lazy, I couldn’t come up with the strength to really chew anything. I remember heading to my grandparents’ home for familial get-togethers and holiday meals and avoiding the mashed potatoes- whatever the cost. I started hiding under the table, explaining I was playing a game of hide-and-seek with my imaginary friend. I’m kidding… it didn’t get to that extreme.
Now, I really love potatoes. I love them fried, baked, mashed– whatever. I’ll even gnaw on some raw potatoes if I am too lazy to wait for a finished product. Kidding, again… of course. I began eating sweet potatoes a little over two years ago on a regular basis. I found them so easy to throw into the microwave for a few minutes, wrapped in a damp paper towel- and BAM, they were ready to go. Now, I have developed my taste even further. I really love white sweet potatoes more than orange ones or yams. They aren’t as starchy in my opinion, and they taste amazing with almost anything. I tried to incorporate some saltiness, sweetness, and spice to this mash.
Sweet Potato Mash
Sweet Potato Mash is a simple little twist on traditional mashed potatoes. These are seasoned with a pinch of cinnamon and cayenne pepper as well as plenty of butter. The ultimate side dish for your healthy Thanksgiving table.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Get all of that dirt off your sweet potatoes! Rinse off with warm water and pat dry.
- Remove the potato skin with a vegetable peeler, dice them up, and throw them in a large bowl.
- Toss with the coconut oil. Add all the spices (besides the black pepper and salt) and coat evenly.
- Place potatoes on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are nice and soft.
- Move the cooked potatoes to a food processor. Add in your choice of milk, as well as the butter. Let blend for 20-30 seconds until well combined.
Add in the salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add in the salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve right away-- these are the best fresh.
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.