Last updated on April 26th, 2018
This vegan butternut squash soup recipe will leave you feeling satiated and extremely giddy for two reasons: 1) it’s packed with healthy fats that will keep you feeling full, longer and 2) you’re loading up on all of the nutrients thanks to all of the butternut squash in this recipe!
A vegan butternut squash soup recipe made by TWO bloggers
When I found out that I’d be collaborating with one of my favorite people for not one but TWO recipes, I was pretty giddy with excitement. Rachel is one of the sweetest, most creative, hilarious people I’ve ever met.
She’s been blogging for SIX years (since she was 16 years old– can you believe that?) and has become quite the food lover’s sensation. Rachel blogs over at Bakerita, where you can find hundreds of baking recipes (many of them are gluten free + paleo to boot) that are delicious for your tummy and make your soul feel whole.
Earlier this month, Rachel invited me over to her place and asked if I wanted to collaborate on a few fall-inspired recipes to kick off the season. Um, duh, OF COURSE.
I came over with plenty of props in hand, ready to take on the world and destroy her kitchen. We knew we wanted to make one savory and one sweet dish. I already had an idea in my mind of wanting to do a crisp with her because let’s get real for one second: she really knows how to nail the perfect paleo crisp.
Have you seen all the crisps on her site? Oh my gosh… ! She chimed in saying she wanted to incorporate some beautiful apples and pears, while they were still available at the market. Perfect.
Vegan squash soup? Sign me up, please!
We came to the conclusion that this vegan butternut squash soup recipe would be the perfect accompaniment to an Apple and Pear Crisp.
It was way too much fun collaborating with Rachel.
Both of us are very interested in possibly doing some video blogs in the near future. Definitely keep an eye out, as we may start experimenting soon and doing some filming as soon as next month.
Now, I speak for myself when I say that each vlog may come hooked up with bloopers because why wouldn’t I fill you in if I break a plate or accidentally let out an elongated f-bomb?
This is an easy butternut squash soup recipe!
Hey you- this recipe is also Whole30 compliant! Isn’t it awesome when I can create a recipe that pleases both vegans and Whole30ers alike? I tend to pat myself on the back when something like this happens.
This vegan butternut squash soup is the real deal. Rachel and I were guzzling it down as soon as we finished shooting, and I couldn’t wait to get home later that evening so I could enjoy another bowl… or two.
What’s awesome about making soups is having the ability to double or triple the recipe (into a HUGE stockpot) and freeze the leftovers for easy access later on. That’s what I know I’ll be doing this week, as the majority of this soup is already in our bellies. Oops!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tablespoons ghee avocado oil for vegan
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 8 cloves roasted or raw garlic
- 24 ounces butternut squash cubes steamed or microwaved until fork tender
- 2 cans canned coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3-4 teaspoons chili powder depending on how hot you'd like it
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cook down the onions first. Heat a large pot on medium and cook the onions in your butter/oil until translucent. Add in the garlic cloves and cubed butternut squash. Cook for another 4-5 minutes until your entire kitchen begins to smell.
- Add in the canned coconut milk, broth and spices. Cook on medium until the soup comes to a low boil. Then, lower the heat so the soup is simmering for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Discard the rosemary sprigs and cinnamon sticks. Blend the soup in a high-speed blender or with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Adjust the salt and pepper according to your taste preferences. Serve warm.
|Monica Stevens Le|
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.