Fall is coming to an end, and I definitely have bitter sweet feelings about this. Every year, I stock up on everything “fall flavored” at the market. I buy a one-year supply of canned pumpkin, ground nutmeg and cloves, molasses, etc. Right around this time of the year, about a week before the Winter solstice, I quickly realize I haven’t utilized very much of my supply. It was this morning that I came to this sudden realization, and the first ingredient I grabbed from the spice cabinet was ginger.
My boyfriend recently brought home a Pound Plus bar from Trader Joe’s. For the holidays, they came out with a new variety: cranberry ginger. I knew if anything went wrong during the production of the mini loaves, the chocolate sauce I was going to create would surely come to the rescue. I wanted to melt down this chocolate bar and mix in some coconut milk and ground ginger to create a smooth, creamy and spicy sauce. Ginger and chocolate? I haven’t done it before, but what better time to try it out then now? Soon, fall will be gone until next year, and I’ll be ruling out the use of anything spicy in my spice cabinet. I’m kidding, completely. But seriously, spicy treats just taste better during the Fall, yeah?
Mini Gingerbread Loaves
- The Loaf
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup melted organic palm shortening
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon full fat canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure honey
- 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- Chocolate Ginger Sauce
- 4 pound ounces dark chocolate melted I used a Trader Joe’splus bar with cranberries and ginger… it worked out wonderfully!
- 1/2 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. This will be the flour, the spices, baking soda, powder and salt.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the apple sauce, coconut milk, molasses, honey, vanilla extract and palm shortening.
- Now, add your wet ingredients slowly into the dry ingredients, and make sure everything is combined well.
- Grease two mini loaf pans. Pour the batter evenly into each of them.
- Let them bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted to the center and comes out clean.
- While the loaves are baking, it's time to create the chocolate ginger sauce.
- Using a double boiler or a microwave, melt down your dark chocolate until you are left with approximately 4 ounces.
- Mix in the coconut milk and the ground ginger. Continuously stir the mixture until everything is incorporated.
- Let the chocolate sauce cool in the fridge for at least 1 hour before drizzling it onto your loaves. Enjoy!