Lamb & Beef Kofta with Citrus Mint Sauce
I have been frequenting so many Mediterranean-style restaurants over the past several months. Let me tell you, it hasn’t been easy leaving said restaurants since trying kofta for the first time. The food is always completely out of this world, but I’m always ordering my meat dishes sans sauce since my dairy intolerance can be a bit of an annoyance. It became clear to me almost immediately after my latest visit I needed to recreate the dish at home as soon as I could. This combined with the fact that I just bought metal skewers made the decision almost too easy to make.
If you do not have any skewers, you could make these into meatballs and serve them on a bed of your favorite rice instead. Either way, you cannot go wrong with this combination of fresh herbs, spices and that saucy harissa. Whew.
I was eager to make this dipping sauce for the kofta. Ever since coming across my dairy intolerance, I have been taking turns buying coconut yogurt from the store in addition to making it from scratch. Either way, the flavors from the coconut mixed in with the citrus from the lime makes for an incredible dip for these spicy meat skewers. These went so quickly in my house at my house, and I’ve already planned to make a new meat mixture of spicy pork, bacon and bison. Really, you can use any types of meat that you’d like but make sure there is enough fat content involved or you’ll wind up with some dry skewers.
Regardless, this Lamb & Beef Kofta is super easy and quick to make, in addition to being a great option for leftovers all week long– if they last! Yum.
- For the kofta:
- 1 pound grassfed ground beef
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Harissa
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- For the dipping sauce:
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 2/3 cup dried apricot diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint roughly chopped
- Sea salt to taste
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and lamb with the harissa, lemon zest, and all of the spices. Using your hands, mix well in order to distribute the ingredients well.
- Carefully shape the meat into sausage-sized cylinders around each metal skewer (about 1/4 cup meat per skewer, leaving you with about 8 skewers total).
- Place the skewers in a single layer on top of the lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meat is cooked through but not overdone. You can carefully cut through one of them and check to see if the meat is done in the center. A little bit of pink is fine!
- Serve the meat with your favorite sauce or my favorite sauce below.
- Soak the diced apricot pieces in boiling water for a few minutes to soften them. Then, drain the water.
- In a high speed blender, pour in the yogurt, fresh herbs, lime juice, dried apricot and a few pinches of sea salt.
- Blend on high for 15-20 seconds until everything is well combined. Adjust the salt and citrus as needed. Now, dip the meat skewers into a big heaping of sauce. Yum.
There is no Nutrition Label for this recipe yet.