Last updated on April 25th, 2019
These Instant Pot chicken mole tacos are wrapped in lettuce and perfect for the whole family. It’s a chicken mole recipe that’s quick and easy to make and packed with so much flavor while being gluten free, dairy free and low carb! They are the perfect way to kick things up a notch during your Whole30!
Chicken mole tacos made with easy to find ingredients!
Chicken mole is traditionally made with fresh Guajilo or ancho chiles, but since those aren’t always very easy to gain access to, I made some modifications in this recipe.
My hopes are that everything listed in the ingredients section can be found all in one place. I don’t want you driving to your local market and then having to hunt down a Mexican grocery store.
Sometimes, mole recipes will feature tomatillos or hunks of dark chocolate. I decided to use cacao powder and canned, fire roasted tomatoes.
Accessibility is everything, you know what I mean?
One of my favorite parts of this dish is how the bitter sweetness of the cacao powder contrasts with the spiciness of the peppers– mmm!
I cannot believe this is my first time making mole. I’ve had it so many times in some of my favorite Mexican restaurants, but I never felt capable of making it at home…
… and certainly not using an Instant Pot!
I’ve been told many times that mole usually sits on the stove for DAYS to develop those radiant, deep flavors. Let’s be real here though.
I don’t have time for anything to sit on my stove for a few days. Well, maybe a dirty skillet, but that’s about it.
I love making things that come together quickly (like my 30 minutes or less recipes), so if something is off, I have plenty of time to fix my errors and still put forth a fabulous meal.
More like this:
Another amazing part of this chicken mole recipe is the toppings I decided to use!
You’ll see that I have toasted pumpkin seeds, red onions, cilantro, extra mole sauce (of course), coconut milk yogurt & some sesame seeds. De-lish!
You can absolutely get as creative as you’d like with these, but I chose these ingredients for a reason 😉
Tim came home the night I made these and was impressed, to say the least. “Wow, this sauce is really good. Make sure you reserve it so I can use it on everything this week.”
Love him and his big appetite. He made it abundantly clear that chicken mole tacos should be made on repeat from now on.
My sister was also over here during my photoshoot and you can bet your boots that I made her jump in with her pretty nails that matched the mole sauce. Go girl.
I absolutely cannot wait for you to try this fabulous meal. If you’re on a Whole30, make sure you wrap these in bibb or butter lettuce (hey, at least that’s my recommendation!)
If you aren’t on a Whole30, you can definitely eat this chicken mole over some white rice or even cauliflower rice. It would taste delicious either way.
The sauce freezes well (I’ve already done it) as you may have some leftovers! 🙂
Feel free to defrost, reheat and serve with your morning scrambled eggs, over roasted veggies or with some shredded pork or chicken.
You are going to absolutely love it!
Instant Pot Chicken Mole Tacos (Whole30)These Instant Pot chicken mole tacos are wrapped in lettuce and perfect for the whole family. It's a chicken mole recipe that's quick and easy to make and packed with so much flavor! They are the perfect way to kick things up a notch during your Whole30!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 15 ounces fire roasted tomatoes crushed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons bone broth or chicken broth
- pinch of dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons Ancho chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/8 teaspoon anise powder
- pinch of ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- handful of raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened raisins
- 2 pounds organic, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley as topping
- coconut yogurt as topping
- sliced red onions as topping
- pepitas toasted, as topping
- Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté function and add in the oil. Once it is hot, add onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft and garlic is quite fragrant, 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer to a high speed blender pitcher and add the rest of the ingredients (except for the cinnamon stick & toppings!) Blend on medium high until creamy throughout.
- Add chicken thighs to the Instant Pot. Pour mole mixture all over the chicken and add the cinnamon stick. Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook (manual) on high. Set the time to 15 minutes.
- Once they are done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Manually let pressure out, covering the steam with a kitchen towel. Using two forks, shred and break apart the chicken and mix well into the sauce. Remove the cinnamon stick and discard.
- Be sure to taste and adjust the seasoning levels. You will absolutely need to add more salt to your taste preferences!
- Add chicken mole to butter lettuce and top off with desired toppings. Serve warm.