Last updated on February 23rd, 2018
Who am I kidding about staying away from baking? Want to know what is SO fun and awesome? Being on a 21-dsd, combined with a Whole30 and baking sweets and treats for you. Luckily, I have a number of people who are more than willing to take my baked goods out of my hands. Otherwise, I would be more easily convinced BY MYSELF to indulge in these things. I have made them a few times before, but they were always missing something. I like my desserts to be a little less sweet, and I really appreciate that tart kick. However, Tim let me know that my taste buds were definitely acting crazy, and I needed to sweeten these macaroons up with something.
What would be better to add than chocolate? Absolutely nothing, that’s what. It’s so easy to make dipping chocolate– and there are many variations. I wanted to keep it simple and unintimidating though. Coconut cream is such a versatile friend of mine in the kitchen. I like to put it in my coffee, on top of my ice cream, mixed in with some berries, but my favorite is licking it straight off a spoon. ANYWAY, coconut cream pairs very very well with dark chocolate. You don’t even need to add anything to sweeten it up. The combination is pure bliss, seriously. I thought what better way to transform these little tart nuggets into something sweeter than to incorporate this chocolate dipping sauce?
Well, there you have it. Tart walks into a bar and meets sweet. Well, the real story is tart walks into my kitchen and settles down in the refrigerator. Then, tart comes out of the refrigerator, takes a walk and meets sweet in my pantry. Together, they make a match made in heaven. They live happily ever after in your dreams and in your stomachs. The end.
Dark Chocolate Dipped Lemon Macaroons
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 -10
- 1/4 tablespoons cup plus fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg white
- 2/3 cup canned coconut milk
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut shreds here are my favorite
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips I usually use Enjoy Life or Guittard
- 1/2 cup coconut cream from the top of a can of refrigerated coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Create the dipping chocolate. *Use a double boiler (or simply put a bowl on top of a small sauce pan with 1/2" water in it).
- Melt the chocolate chips first, stirring consistently with a spatula. Careful not to let it stick to the bottom of the bowl and burn. Then, slowly pour in the coconut cream and continue stirring. Once the mixture is very well incorporated, remove from the heat and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Then, place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Place the honey, coconut shreds, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and coconut milk into a bowl and mix well.
- Place the single egg white into the bowl of a mixer (you can use an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer). Beat the egg white on medium-high speed with the sea salt until a soft peak forms.
- Add the egg white and coconut flour into the other mixture until everything has been combined well.
- By using an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop (depends on your size preference), scoop out your macaroons and pack them down lightly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 22-30 minutes, or until golden around the edges. About half way through, make sure you rotate the tray 180 degrees.
- Let macaroons cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Now, remove the chocolate mixture from the refrigerator and dip half of the macaroon into it. Let macaroons cool and harden by placing them back on the parchment lined baking sheet. Place them in the refrigerator for a few hours.
If you are feeling bold, dip the whole macaroon into the dark chocolate duh!