Last updated on March 28th, 2018
I FINALLY MADE IT BACK TO WHOLE FOODS. Why is this such exciting news? First of all, I am over 65 miles from the nearest one. Whole Foods is the only grocery store in my area that sells pork belly that I LOVE so much. I have tried buying it online and ordering it from some local farms, but I prefer the taste and texture of the belly at Whole Foods. Crackling pork belly could be one of my favorite recipes of all times. It is so simple to make, plus there is just so much excitement involved in scoring meat. Well, at least in my kitchen. I crank up the tunes, put on my spectacles (so I can get nice, even cuts… and not cut myself) and really get into it. If you were to walk in on me, you’d most likely leave with a puzzled expression on your face.
What I love about making pork belly is how simple the process can be. You only need a few ingredients (half of which are salt and pepper) and a lot of patience! I highly recommend buying a good knife to score your meat. I kept cutting into the meat (instead of just the fat layer) until I bought a paring knife. Now, my cuts have become as close to perfect as they are going to get.
I served my pork belly on a big bed of mashed purple cauliflower. You can serve this on cauliflower rice, white rice, wrap it up in tacos, or dice it up and throw it on a salad. Really, the possibilities are endless with this cracklin’ fatty meat.
Cracklin' Pork Belly
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 135 minutes
Servings 8 -10
- Preheat the oven to its high broiling point.
- Lay the belly out onto a big cutting board.
- Using a paring knife, score the skin of the belly without cutting into the meat underneath.
- Season with the salt and black pepper. Make sure you really get all the seasoning into the crevices of the fat. Really work it in there with your fingertips.
- Roast on an elevated rack in your oven at broiling point until the skin begins to crackle. Make sure you turn it every 5-7 or minutes or so. That way, it will crackle evenly.
- After the top is crispy, lower your oven heat to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook for an additional 2 hours at this temperature, rotating your rack 180 degrees, half way through for even cooking.
- *When your first hour of cook time is over, pull out the rack. Mix the coconut sugar and fish sauce together. Then, brush it on to the belly, again making sure it gets into all of the nooks and crannies. Stick the rack back into the oven for the last hour of cook time.*
- Serve with your favorite type of rice, potatoes, inside of a taco, or on top of a salad.