Don’t you love when you make a huge boo-boo in the kitchen and it works out in your advantage? I SURE DO! I decided it was about time to make some donuts yesterday. Then, I realized that was exactly what I was going to do. I had a mini donut pan I ordered from Amazon that was sitting in my cabinet collecting dust for months. Well, let’s just say sitting in the cabinet… I would hope that that it isn’t collecting dust since it is isn’t out in the open. ANY way… it was donut makin’ time! I was like, I love chocolate! I love chocolate chips! I love mini donuts! Let’s combine all 3, and WHEEWWWW what a plan it was.
I got a little bit heavy handed when squeezing out the batter into the donut pan. I was going to try and fix my mistake, but then I got lazy. And even lazier when I decided to fall asleep on the couch while they were baking in the oven. I extend my gratitude to my microwave timer. Seriously. Orange is the New Black – Season 2 was released over the weekend. I’m currently watching episode 12. Yes, that means I only have one more left, and I’m all done. I am so thankful it was released this weekend because it inspired me to create these heavenly muffin top donuts. I was in awe watching some of my favorite inmates choke down egg beaters and boogery oatmeal, and I decided it was time for an outside intervention.
So, who wants to get down with some muffin tops? For the first time in my life, I am a huge fan. Normally, I don’t have a positive associate with those two words (muffin top) but as I mentioned above, it was intervention time. From now on, muffin tops get two thumbs up from this girl. As well as mini donuts. You put two and two together and you get four words of glory and fame:
Mini Donut Muffin Tops. HEYOH!!!
Chocolate Chip Mini Donut Muffin Tops
- Mini Donut Muffin Tops:
- 8 pastured eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 cup sifted coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- The Glaze:
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease the mini donut pan with some extra coconut oil.
- Using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, combine the eggs with the melted coconut oil and coconut sugar.
- Add in the rest of the wet ingredients: canned coconut milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Combine well.
- Turn the mixer off. Sift in the dry ingredients: coconut flour, cocoa/cacao powder, sea salt and baking soda and turn it back on until everything is incorporated.
- Turn the mixer off once again, and stir in the dark chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Squeeze or spoon the batter into the mini donut pan. Bake for 16-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from their centers.
- Transfer the mini donut muffin tops to a wire rack, and let them cool while you prepare the icing.
- Mix the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 60-90 seconds. About halfway through, pull out the bowl and give the mixture a stir.
- Dip the tops of the donuts into the icing mixture, and let them cool in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.