I absolutely love the Holidays. What better time to mix citrus with spice and create something incredibly nice? What better time to be cheesy and rhyme, all the time? Okay, but seriously check out this 3-Layer Citrus Gingerbread Tart I have created for you. Although I didn’t start celebrating Christmas until I met my fiance, Tim, November through January has always been my favorite time of the year. No, it isn’t the cold weather (let’s face it, that doesn’t really exist here in Southern California). It’s all of the excitement that seems to be going on, everywhere and all of the time. Granted, a lot of this excitement can be considered “negative” and “anxious” behavior by someone let’s say in the retail business. I can safely say that regardless of whether it is negative or not, people are running around at the grocery store, the gift store, the gas station, wherever. Everyone is in such a hurry to get stuff done, and I find that to be so beautiful. I wish we all ran around with this kind of passion and enthusiasm all year-round.
There is something about baking during the Holidays that kicks it up a few notches. Usually after baking, I can expect the dish to be gone within 1-2 days, thanks to my trusty, handy-dandy fiance. I only get to try a bite or two while I am creating the recipe, and he manages to polish off the rest. However, around the Holidays, I become so excited to actually share my recipes with my friends and family. I know that this tart won’t all be going into one stomach, but rather the stomachs of so many people I love who I want to constantly create healthy recipes for. Since that is completely unrealistic, I really take advantage of my time with them during the Holiday Season and try to churn out as many recipes for them to try as possible.
I think it’s time to dust off those oven mits and head to the nearest market. Oh, and if you really feel like it, you can add a fourth layer and add a dollop of homemade whipped topping or whipped cream! Mmmm.
3-Layer Citrus Gingerbread Tart
- 2/3 cup pecans
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 20 dates pitted
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- pinch Aof sea salt
- 2 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked for 3-4 hours then rinsed with cold water and drained
- 1/2 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 3 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
- a few sprinkles of sea salt
|Cook Time||15 minutes|
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
- First, prepare the crumble. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, combine the coconut flakes, ginger, coconut flour, and sea salt until well combined. Then, slowly pour in the molasses, honey and coconut oil and continue pulsing until everything has been mixed.
- Press the mixture into a baking sheet or tart pan and let it bake for 10 minutes. Then, rotate the pan and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the crumble looks a dark-golden color but not burnt.
- Remove from the oven, transfer into a small bowl and set aside.
- Now, prepare the crust. Combine both pecans and walnuts with the coconut flakes, dated, cinnamon and sea salt in a food processor. Pulse until everything is well combined, at least for 30 seconds.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a spring-form pan.
- Now, make the filling! Rinse out that food processor, and throw in the raw cashews. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest, coconut oil and honey or syrup. Turn the food processor on for 1-2 minutes until everything is well combined and looking smooth n' creamy!
- Pour the mixture on top of the crust, and spread evenly. Place the tart into the refrigerator or freezer to set. Once the mixture is firm to the touch, pull out of the cold and sprinkle on the crumble. Place back in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to set a bit more.
- You can top off your tart with some fresh homemade whipped cream or whipped topping of your choice!