Sweet potatoes are my favorite. Period. My three vices are: eggs, bacon and sweet potatoes. Why? They are so dang versatile. I can use sweet potato puree as a base for baking a loaf, make a breakfast hash with them, microwave them and eat them for a snack, really the possibilities are endless. My second favorite thing to do with sweet potatoes is: roasting them smothered in coconut oil and then topping them off with some nut butter and cinnamon. It is the ultimate treat! I say second favorite because this recipe has now become my favorite way to devour them. I love experimenting with different herbs and potatoes. Garlic and dill used to be my favorite combination, but that has now been replaced by: rosemary and thyme. This flavor combination is also my favorite on a rack of lamb. I can’t imagine what kind of foodgasm I would have if I were to eat R&T lamb AND sweet potatoes in one sitting. Whew.
I feel like there is no stopping me now that I have tried this combo. I will probably go on and on and make herb roasted sweet potatoes with a gajillion herb and spice combinations. No one can stop me! And why would they? If I didn’t experiment as much as I did in the kitchen, I would have been bored eating Paleo years ago, I am sure. Playing around with flavor combinations is really what has kept me going strong. It’s easy to get bored of seasoning everything with garlic, salt and pepper. How many times in a row can we do that anyways before we toss in the towel (is that the right phrasing?…)
With words like foodgasm and gajillion, I can assure you I am over the top excited for you to try this recipe. That, and I am trying to lure you in, keep your attention and make you laugh out of control. No, not all three- I’m not that cool. Just one will do… Anyways, these taters will be perfect for a grab and go snack or to add as a side with breakfast, lunch or dinner. Hell, they can be your midnight snack RIGHT before bed if you want, mmmmm you will certainly dream sweet if you do that.
Herb Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground rosemary
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or grass-fed butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thoroughly wash your sweet potatoes. These bad boys are DIRTY things. I use a scrubby brush, and I am always shocked how much dirt comes off. *You can peel them if you'd like, but I love leaving the skin on*
- Slice them into wedges 3/4-1" thick, and stick them in a large bowl.
- Cover the bowl with cold water and ice cubes, and let the sweet potatoes sit for 20-30 minutes. Then, drain out the water and ice and pat the potatoes dry.
- Melt the coconut oil or butter. Then cover and massage the sweet potatoes with the mixture.
- Lay out the sweet potatoes on the parchment lined baking sheet, and sprinkle the spices on top of the wedges. I find if you try mixing the spices into the sweet potatoes with your hands, you end up with a lot of the herbs stuck in the bowl or on your hands.
- Now, bake for 30-40 minutes or until brown and cooked through.
- Let them cool and ENJOY THEM!
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.