I absolutely love muffins. I love how damn cute they are. I also love cupcakes. I decided to try and be cute, too and create these banana ones into muffin AND cupcake sizes just for you. That way, I won’t be the only one looking at these photos and OOHing and AHing. Join me, okay?!
I have been trying so hard to hop off the breakfast and dessert train. After all, who do you think eats all of those cupcakes after they have been photographed? Luckily, my man has a major sweet tooth and can polish off a batch in a matter of minutes. HOWEVER, when he isn’t home, I get the urge to try and take over his garbage disposal duties. I know making breakfast in the morning is not at the top of everyone’s priority lists. When I wake up in the morning, I like to give myself as little time as possible to: hit snooze at least twice, put myself together and look half decent, guzzle down a few cups of water, and run out the door like I am being chased by the police. Seriously, some mornings look like that at my house. When I decide to get over myself, stop lollygagging around and get to bed on time, I wake up in the morning with plenty of time to cook up something delicious and jump start my day.
I have been seeing a pattern though. The colder it gets in Southern California (I know, I know…), the more inclined I am to staying in bed as long as possible in the morning. That’s why I came up with these quick to prepare and even quicker to eat banana breakfast muffins. Never throw away those overly ripe bananas on your counter. You can use them for muffins and loaves or you can throw them in the freezer for smoothies. If you freeze them with the skin on, they are perfect to use for banana cream pie (MAJOR side note here.) My point is, I really hate throwing away food. I think it’s because I was scolded and sometimes punished for leaving food on my plate when I was younger. I had a Russian-speaking family friend who would come watch over me some weekends. She would not let me step away from the kitchen table until my plate was clean. If there were items in my parent’s refrigerator that were soon to go bad, she made sure to concoct SOMETHING incorporating all of them. At the time, I was horrified and really had it out for this crazy lady. Looking back, I truly appreciate how crazy she was. It has definitely rubbed off on me. Incoming: cupcakes AND muffins!
Banana Breakfast Muffins
Get up and get going. Or just snooze for a while. You only need an extra 30 seconds to spread some delicious butter on one of these breakfast treats before you go bolting out the door.
Banana Breakfast Muffins
These healthy banana muffins just take 10 minutes to prep and are made without refined sugar. They are moist, decadent and simply the perfect on-the-go breakfast treat! A great way to get the energy you need to power through your day.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix (I used an immersion blender) the ripe bananas, coconut sugar, butter, and egg.
- After everything has been well blended, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and continue mixing everything together until well incorporated and smooth.
- Gently fold in the nuts you will be using into the banana batter.
- Spoon the banana into your preferred type of muffin liners or tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Now, top these with your favorite grass-fed butter, nut butter or jam. They taste wonderful on their own, and that's how I recommend trying them at first.
- Keep a close eye on the muffins. Depending on the type of oven you have, cooking times will vary.
- The size of your bananas will also play a big role in the cooking time. My bananas were larger than I would have liked, so I had to cook the muffins for over 30 minutes to make sure the centers weren't mushy.
Hi! I’m Monica – recipe developer, matcha addict and lover of all things chocolate, kombucha and any & all puns. I am also the blogger, real food lover, & bonafide hustler behind the blog ‘The Movement Menu.’ I’m so excited to welcome you to my happy space, where my appreciation of creative recipes and healthy & mindful eats come together to inspire you to live a healthy, balanced life.